Zaden loves to help me out in the kitchen as much as possible and has become my little sous chef. One of our favorite things to make together is Rice Krispie treats (decorated with LOTS of sprinkles of course). These festive Rice Krispie treats made with Kraft Marshmallows are the perfect gifts for friends and neighbors this holiday season.
Isn't his cheesy smile in the first picture awesome?
In order to make these delicious Rice Krispie treats we needed to make a run to our local Walmart for Kraft Marshmallows and Kraft Caramels. I personally love drizzling my Rice Krispie treats in warm caramel. We found the Kraft Marshmallows in the baking aisle and the Kraft Caramels in the candy aisle. As you can see in the photos above Zaden was excited that we were putting all of these tasty items in our shopping cart.
Once we returned home we were able to start whipping up these bad boys in no time. Rice Krispie treats are a great interactive activity for little ones since they are quick and easy to make. The Kraft Marshmallows actually have the perfect Rice Krispie recipe on the back of the package. I will list out the ingredients needed and directions for the Festive Rice Krispie Treats below:
Simple Caramel Sauce
(makes more than enough caramel for decorating)
1 package of Kraft Caramels
2 Tbsp of Water
- Turn on stove and set on low-medium heat. Begin removing caramels from package until you have gone through entire bag.
- Place water into pan and caramels and stir frequently so caramel mixture doesn't burn. Continue stirring until caramels are completely melted.
- Remove pan from burner and transfer into a small bowl or into an icing container for easy drizzling and decorating.
Easy Rice Krispie Treats
(makes 12 treats)
6 cups of Rice Krispie Cereal
40 Kraft Marshmallows
3 Tbsp of Butter
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat (or microwave in a microwave safe dish for 30-45 seconds like I did). Add marshmallows and cook until marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from stove top.
- Add Rice Krispy Cereal and mix well.
- Spray a large cutting board with cooking spray and press mixture onto cutting board. Let stand for 3-5 minutes or until they are cool enough to touch.
- Begin cutting your rice krispie treats into fun shapes with cookie cutters before mixture gets too hard.
- Decorate with Kraft Caramel sauce, sprinkles, chocolate, or anything your heart desires.
We had so much fun as a family decorating these treats for a few of our neighbors. Zaden ended up doing a lot more eating and tasting than decorating. However, the entire time he was having a blast making a mess and sneaking a candy or two in the process.
If you are feeling extra crafty you can even wrap you treats up in a cute box or even in a festive plate bag like we did. I ended up buying a ton of pretty ribbon and tags just to add a little pizzazz to our homemade gifts (;
If you need more inspiration, check out the Cooking Up Good website. It has recipes, sweepstakes, loyalty programs, coupons and more! What's not to love? If you're looking for a new dinner idea or a chance to win some awesome prizes, be sure to check it out!